Tioga County is home to one of Pennsylvania's largest intact wetland complexes affectionately known as "The Muck."
The Bird Observation Blind, a project of the Tiadaghton Audubon Society, the Pennsylvania Game Commission, and the Pennsylvania Audubon Society, offers a unique opportunity to view wildlife in a natural wetland setting. Visitors have a great chance to view rare bird species who live there or those who migrate through the area. This Blind is open year round, is handicap accessible, and is located 300 feet into the marsh at the end of the boardwalk.
Visitors can learn about some of the rare birds and other wildlife that frequent the marsh from interpretive displays located at the Muck Observation Blind.
Wellsboro Becomes First Pennsylvania Bird Town Outside of Southeast Pennsylvania
What is a Bird Town?
Bird Town is a working partnership of Audubon and municipalities in Pennsylvania to promote conservation and community-based actions to create a healthy, more sustainable environment for birds and people.
Audubon provides the tools for the municipality to engage their residents, schools and businesses in making more ecologically-friendly decisions, conserving energy and in the process, saving money. A Bird Town makes efforts to restore valuable ecosystem services to create a culture of conservation where everyone is a potential steward of nature in their backyard and beyond.
What does it mean for Wellsboro?
A concerted effort by Wellsboro and its partners to promote efforts in working towards a more sustainable natural environment with healthier yards, schools and parks.
- Promote the Borough of Wellsboro Bird Town designation
- Install Bird Town Signs
- Expand the Bird Town Partnerships
- Encourage residents to register their properties in the Bird Habitat Recognition Program
- Conduct activities and events that support stewardship and develop a sustainable environment.
What Can You Do?
- Get involved by volunteering with Wellsboro’s local partners
- Sign up for the Bird Habitat Recognition Program
- Most of all: encourage our youth of today to help make a difference in their environment in the future!